About the organisation
S.A.L.V.E. International is a small International Development charity registered in the UK and Uganda. Our ethos is “Support And Love Via Education”.
We support children living and working on the streets of Uganda to leave the streets, return home to their families and re-join education so that they have a brighter future full of opportunities.
At S.A.L.V.E. we believe:
- No young person should have to live or work on the streets
- Young people who have lived and worked on the streets deserve the chance to fulfil their potential
- Young people on the streets should have trustworthy, supportive adults around them
With the generous help of our supporters, S.A.L.V.E. works with children on the streets of Jinja, Uganda, so they have the opportunity to leave their difficult pasts behind them and move forward, towards a brighter future.
We have a Drop in Centre and Street Outreach services for children currently living on the streets. We offer short term residential care in our Halfway Homes or Drug Rehabilitation Centre to help a child to transition off the streets, and follow up care and support for when a child has been resettled home to their family. We also offer educational support for the child and business skills training for the family where assessed to be needed to help a child to settle home successfully.
About the role
You will join our Board of Trustees in the UK and work alongside our CEO, staff teams and Ugandan board, to help S.A.L.V.E. International to thrive and increase our impact.
The term of office for our board is four years (which is renewable) – however it is possible for someone to step down, resign or take a sabbatical within this time period, should your circumstances change.
Practically the role will involve:
● 8 to 12 hours a month.
● Attending 4 board meetings per year (these are on a weekend in the daytime. The dates are set at the start of each year and they will normally consist of three virtual half day meetings and one face to face whole day meeting per year).
● Our board has 3 committees that meet virtually once per quarter between board meetings. These are Finance, HR and Governance and Fundraising and Communications. As treasurer you would be automatically on the Finance committee, with the option to join any other committee alongside this if you wish and are able to.
● Responding to emails (where relevant), liaising with the CEO and other board members as needed, and championing any areas of S.A.L.V.E.’s work in which your knowledge, skills, experience and time available allow.
We also believe that it is highly beneficial for board members to visit the programme in Uganda at least once every four years to understand the work in greater depth, share their skills and to meet with team members and service users. Assistance towards your flight costs may be available, based on an application from the trustee.
Treasurer specific responsibilities:
As treasurer of the board you would also be responsible for:
- Ensuring the charity maintains proper accounts by overseeing and providing guidance to the staff members who do the day to day bookkeeping work.
- Reviewing the charity’s financial performance.
- Reviewing and presenting financial reports to the board in a clear format to help the board understand the charity’s financial position.
- Advising the board on how best to carry out its financial responsibilities.
- Liaising with professional advisors, S.A.L.V.E. staff and with the charity’s independent examiner/ auditors as needed.
- Overseeing the internal audit of our annual accounts.
- Reviewing policies for finance, security of assets and investment.
- Ensuring that the charity has robust and effective financial controls in place.
Our ideal candidate
- Have experience in finance/accounting and are likely to hold one of the following financial qualifications: ACA - Chartered Accountant, ACCA /CACA - Certified Accountant, CIMA - Chartered Management Accountant, or CIPFA.
- Have proven experience of communicating well with different stakeholders.
- Have the ability to create, review and develop strategies, policies, procedures and systems to ensure that S.A.L.V.E. is following good practice in line with the UK Charity Commission.
- Be solution focused and creative in their ability to approach problems.
Other desirable (but not essential) skills:
- Have experience in successfully working internationally and/ or with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Have previous experience within the charity sector and be able to evidence their enthusiasm and dedication.
- To encourage diversity on our Board we would especially welcome applicants who are originally from Uganda or have strong ties to Uganda, but are now based in the UK.
What’s in it for you
By joining our Board of Trustee’s as the Treasurer, you will have the chance to be part of a small organisation making a big impact on the lives of street-connected children in Uganda.
You will be able to use your skills to help S.A.L.V.E. to grow and develop and thus to support more children living on the streets of Uganda to leave the streets, return home to their families and re-join education.
You will become part of the S.A.L.V.E. team here in the UK and have the opportunity to visit our programmes in Uganda to see the impact S.A.L.V.E. is having first hand and work alongside our Ugandan team, Ugandan board of Trustees and the children and families we work with.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.