About the organisation
Rathbone is a local charity (income c. £2.2 million) based in the London borough of Lambeth which supports adults and children and young people with a learning disability and economically and socially disadvantaged children and young people to have equality of access to opportunities that will enable them to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives. Our mission is to promote independence and life skills, support people to try new things, and create opportunities for people to come together.
We are paid by Lambeth council to provide outreach and supported living to enable adults with a learning disability to maintain and develop independence. We provide social and educational activities – including weekly healthy cooking and social groups and a gardening club for our clients, funded entirely through voluntary income. We support around 100 adults with a learning disability each week. We also deliver five youth club sessions and three after school homework clubs per week during term time and school holiday activities for children and young people aged 11-18 (25 years for young people with a learning disability).
About the role
· Monitor the financial standing of the charity and report to the Board and CEO regarding cash-flow forecasting, income streams, out-going expenses and the overarching strategic management of the organisation’s financial resources.
· Contribute to the charity’s financial risk-management process and report financial health to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals.
· Ensure that annual accounts are submitted to all relevant regulators in a timely fashion. Liaise with external auditors on financial issues.
Our ideal candidate
- Qualified accountant with demonstrated commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Knowledge of charity SORP and impending changes.
- Competent use of IT skills.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of charity fundraising and finance practices.
- Dedicated to the organisation’s cause and objectives and willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
What’s in it for you
This is an opportunity to undertake a rewarding experience supporting our charity through challenging times. You will work alongside a board of highly talented and committed individuals supporting the CEO and the senior management team to deliver our strategic objectives. You will recieve any necessary training and support. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.