About the organisation
“The foodbank was there when we really needed it, it was an absolute lifeline”.
Oldham Foodbank was founded by Fr David Hawthorn from St Margaret’s, Hollinwood & St. Chad’s, Limeside. It is a collaboration of local churches and community groups of all denominations, faiths and none, working together towards stopping hunger in our local area.
We don’t think anyone in our community should have to face going hungry. That’s why we provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to local people who are referred to us in crisis. We are part of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by The Trussell Trust, working to combat poverty and hunger across the UK.
About the role
This role involves leading on the financial affairs of the foodbank and ensuring that they are conducted within the required legal, accounting and good practice conventions.It is also the responsibility of the treasurer to work in partnership with the chairperson and trustees to ensure the financial viability and development of the organisation.
- Ensure the trustee board fulfils its financial responsibilities.
- Ensure that the food bank has proper systems for budgeting, financial control, insurance, and reporting.
- Inform the trustee board members of the finances of the food bank by written report, at least on a quarterly basis ensuring that the board have a clear picture of the financial health of the food bank.
Ensure that financial reports:
- Are comprehensible and properly discussed at trustee board meetings.
- Are provided in the proper format and at the proper time, as required by the relevant charity regulator body (Charity Commission of England & Wales, Charity Commission of Northern Island or OSCR etc).
- Have properly appointed auditors or independent examiners (on income over £25k).
- Are reported on an annual basis at annual general meetings (AGMs).
Objects of the food bank:
- To ensure the Trustee board develop a long-term strategy for the food bank with clear objectives which can be monitored and adapted.
Other responsibilities, along with the board of trustees, include:
- To work alongside the trustee board to ensure the organisation’s financial dealings are systematically accounted for and on time, independently examined (on income over £25k) and made publicly available when necessary.
- Ensure your charity is accountable, actively complying with statutory accounting and reporting requirements and the law.
- To ensure appropriate financial plans are in place for future budget allocations as well as looking after contractual agreements with external partners that award money for core costs and additional projects.
- To help promote the organisation to a wider audience of potential funders and beneficiaries.
- To ensure the food bank has appropriate procedures to: comply with current legislation and good practice; including employment, health and safety, equal opportunities, safeguarding & GDPR compliance/data protection etc.
- Act with reasonable care and skill, giving your time, thought and energy to your role.
- To serve as an additional promoter of the food bank in the community.
- To support the foodbank operation where necessary
Our ideal candidate
Oldham Foodbank is recruiting a Treasurer to be part of our Board of Trustees. The treasurer will ensure the foodbank complies with all financial requirements. We are looking for a board who will ensure the sustainability and the future of our foodbank, whilst providing the most effective support for people experiencing crisis in the area. The successful candidate will:
- Be passionate about alleviating poverty, and will have an opportunity to influence the direction of the foodbank's missions.
- Have a knowledge of the work of the Oldham Foodbank.
- Be respectful of the Christian values the foodbank was founded on.
- Previous experience or an ability in financial accounting and reporting procedures, keeping financial records up to date (book-keeping), and the ability to communicate financial information to those who may have little or no financial background
- Be enthusiastic to be involved, and to have an understanding of, the processes within the operation.
- Willing to make a long-term commitment in the role.
What’s in it for you
By leading on the financial matters of the food bank operation, you are part of providing a vital holistic support function in your local community, ensuring a dignified experience to anyone visiting or anyone who comes into contact with Oldham Foodbank.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.