About the organisation
Larger Us exists to inspire and support a new kind of change-maker.
One who works towards a shift from a ‘them-and-us’ to a ‘larger us’ world. One who:
- Recognises the humanity in ‘the other side’, and what motivates them to act as they do.
- Is willing to listen and reach out beyond their usual support base.
- Understands and acts on the inner change needed to do this emotionally demanding kind of work.
We do this by connecting change-makers who understand how what happens in our minds impacts the way we experience and exist in the world around us.
Our work includes making the case for our ideas through research and communications; delivering training programmes for change-makers; and convening events where they can learn from and connect with each other.
We’re looking for Board members who can help us to build on what we have achieved so far and steer us towards growth.
About the role
Term: 2-years with option to extend.
Location: remote but with 2 Board meetings in London per year. We welcome applications from people living across and outside of the UK.
Time: 4 x board meetings per year (2 online, 2 in-person) plus 4-8 hours per month in additional support (e.g. reading materials, calls with members of the team etc).
Status: this is a voluntary position but travel, accommodation, childcare and other expenses will be paid.
Larger Us is at an exciting point in our development. We’ve recently received funding that will allow us to continue our work into 2024, published our new guide for change-makers, and have just been commissioned to deliver the Larger Us Programme (our training course for change-makers) ‘in-house’ by a partner organisation for the first time.
With crises from the cost of living to climate change, we’re entering a period where existing divisions between individuals and communities could be exploited and/or deepened - so our mission has never felt more relevant.
We want to ensure that we use our resources wisely so that we can maximise our influence and impact now and in the future.
We are a small organisation, led by our Executive Director, Alex Evans, who is supported by Kate Pumphrey, our Design Director, and Claire Brown, our Head of External Relations.
Currently we have a small Board - comprising our Chair, Kirsty McNeill, Alex Evans and Lord Chartres as a non-executive director - which we’re hoping to expand to reflect our ambition to grow our organisation and increase our impact.
We’re looking for Board members who are keen and able to engage with our team beyond Board meetings to offer strategic and operational guidance.
- Draw upon your skills, expertise and experience to help steer Larger Us towards achieving our goals. This will include playing a key role on organisation oversight and strategic planning, commenting on and feeding into our work, and offering strategic and operational advice as necessary.
- Ensure we use our financial resources responsibly, ethically and in line with our goals. This will include overseeing our budget, signing off end of year accounts, and offering advice on financial planning for the future.
- Support the Executive Director and other members of the team, and hold them accountable to our organisational goals and objectives; support the Executive Director on human resources and staff recruitment.
- Ensure Larger Us complies with all relevant laws and regulations and has appropriate policies and procedures in place.
For more information about our activities and how to apply, please see our candidate information pack.
Our ideal candidate
We invite applications from anyone who is inspired by what we’re trying to achieve and has experience and expertise in relevant areas such as (but not limited to) politics, campaigning, journalism, community action, non-profit sector management, psychology or social start-ups.
We are particularly hoping to hear from people with experience in:
- Helping small organisations to diversify their income streams, grow and increase their reach.
- Building relationships with potential partnership organisations and funders
- Leading on financial management either as an accountant or financial director
- Developing, delivering and scaling training programmes
- Recruiting, retaining and engaging active members for a group or community of practice
- Organising or campaigning (in a political, issue-based or community context)
- Supporting people as a psychologist, coach, counsellor or through some other personal development practice.
What’s in it for you
You'll be working alongside a team. - staff and fellow Board members - who care deeply about what Larger Us is trying to achieve, and each other.
We're building a supportive, engaged and passionate community of change-makers who readily share their experience, knowledge and wisdom with us and each other.
This is an opportunity to help to shape Larger Us as we grow and help to bring our message to more people.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.