About the organisation
Indigo directly and efficiently connects volunteers with humanitarian organisations. Our Mission is to amplify the efforts of our partners on their mission to aid displaced communities.
Indigo helps hundreds of humanitarians put their boots on the ground each year. This means that dozens of projects have the vital support necessary to keep their programmes running and increase their activities. We make sure that more people, from more diverse backgrounds, have the chance to volunteer responsibly - so that everyone benefits from a sustainable and inclusive change-making environment. As part of this, we also provide physcho-social support to our organisations and volunteers, as well as education and goverance support.
About the role
The treasurer will monitor the financial standing of the charity and report to the Board and CEO regarding cash-flow forecasting, income streams, outgoing expenses and the overarching strategic management of the organisation’s financial resources. They oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process and report financial health to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals. The treasurer ensures that annual accounts are submitted to all relevant regulators in a timely fashion and liaises with external auditors where needed. They also ensure that the organisation's finances are responsibly managed for the betterment of the organisation’s work and for the beneficiaries it serves.
Time Commitment: 4-6 board meetings per year, an annual strategy day as well as other activities between meetings as required by the role. The Treasurer is also expected to have regular contact with the Chief Executive and bookkeeper.
Duration: Probation period 3 months, including attendance at a board meeting. Minimum commitment 18 months, maximum 5 years.
Our ideal candidate
We are a small and friendly charity. You would be joining a diverse board who come from a wide range of backgrounds.
All trustees are responsible for ensuring the charity is running well. The main duties include:
- Ensuring the charity is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit
- Complying with the charity’s governing document and the law
- Acting with the charity’s best interests
- Managing the charities resources and responsibilities
- Acting with reasonable care and skill
- Ensuring the charity is accountable
Specific experience required of a treasurer include:
- Experience of managing finances within a charity (or business).
- Experience of leading a team or advising others on financial, accounting and other operational issues.
As well as the following knowledge and skills:
- Qualified accountant with demonstrated knowledge and experience of finance practices.
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues.
- Knowledge of charity Statement of Recommended Practices (SORP).
- Competent use of IT skills.
- Proven ability to clearly and regularly communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board, Senior Leadership Team and other stakeholders where relevant.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
What’s in it for you
Inidigo Volunteers is a small, friendly charity with a wide-reaching impact across the European refugee route. This is a really exciting and important time to be part of the charity, as we continue to scale and professionalise.
Becoming our treasurer is a fantastic opportunity to:
- Give back — you'll be an integral role in helping to improve the situation of refugees aross Europe.
- Gain new skills — grow and develop skills of strategic thinking, and applying your skills in a different context to your day-to-day.
- Network — this role allows you to meet people you'd likely never have the chance to meet otherwise
- Find reward — putting your financial experience to use will really make a big difference to our charity. You can help to be part of the decision making that will impact our growth and strategic direction.
- Gain new experience — being a charity treasurer is really a very different experience. It offers the opportunity for professional development and it can really help boost your CV.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.