About the organisation
We are the only disabilities charity in the borough of Hammersmith and Fulham that focuses solely on people with learning disabilities, autism, and other developmental conditions. We seek to promote the wellbeing and development of children and adults with those conditions in all areas of their lives, as well as supporting their families and carers.
The activities run by the Charity can be summarised in five projects:
· advocacy for families of young people with learning disabilities
· a parent-led forum for those with children and young people up to 25 with additional needs and learning disabilities
· youth development for young adults
· a transitions service for young adults with additional mental health needs
· a day service where the focus is on peer support and skills development through a range of inclusive activities
HF Mencap is affiliated with the national Royal Mencap Society but is an independent charity that needs to secure all its own funding.
About the role
The Treasurer will lead financial governance overseeing some expansion, made possible by our post-COVID pandemic financial recovery and a recent move to larger premises.
The vacancy is available due to the current Treasurer relocating. The day-to-day financial management is covered by an experienced outsourced provision.
The role is voluntary, with any necessary out of pocket expenses reimbursed. The time allocation is envisaged to be a day a month. There is a mix of remote and local work. Appointment is for a three-year term with the opportunity to be re-appointed for a further term of up to three years.
The Treasurer has the following responsibilities:
· Safeguard the financial stability of the organisation and provide sound financial risk management.
· Ensure the proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
· Make certain that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
· Advise the Board on the financial implications of strategic and other plans.
· Oversee the production of the annual budget and recommend its adoption by the Board.
· Chair Finance Committee and attend Risk Committee meetings (both take place quarterly).
· Make a presentation of accounts at Board meetings and any General Meetings, drawing attention to important points in an easily understandable way.
· Recommend the appointment of independent auditors to the Board.
· Ensure that the accounts are properly audited and implemented, such that financial statements comply with HF Mencap’s Articles of Association, the Companies Act 2006 and Charity Commission requirements.
· Support the development and implementation of financial, reserves, cost management and investment policies and related controls as applicable.
· Other responsibilities as necessary.
As a Trustee you will help HF Mencap continue to provide the highest standards of professional, specialist support and care for the people who use our services and set a clear, ambitious direction for the charity’s future. The Trustees have overall responsibility for ensuring the charity is well-run and meets legal requirements, charitable objectives, and those of good governance. You will use your personal skills and experience to help the Board of Trustees in reaching structured and sound decisions. Board Meetings take place quarterly.
Our ideal candidate
An experienced professional who feels strongly about the cause of learning disability, perhaps through personal or work connection, and wants to combine professional expertise and passion to effect change.
Based in London.
Financial expertise gained in a finance or business background, with ability to:
- present and manage accounts
- use appropriate accounting procedures
- offer financial strategic direction
The following personal skills and attributes are needed:
- Commitment to HF Mencap’s support of people with a learning disability, their families, and carers.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team that makes collective decisions.
- Willingness to speak your mind while collaborating with others.
- Energy to devote the necessary time and effort to the role.
- Ability to undertake analysis, discussion and decision making at a strategic level.
- Sound, independent judgement.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Willingness to work in uncertain circumstances and be receptive to change.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty, and leadership.
- Previous experience of the voluntary sector and/or acting as a Trustee.
- Lived experience of having a learning disability and/or autism, being a parent or carer of someone who does, or experience of working directly with people who do.
Please provide a comprehensive cv with your full name and contact details, together with a supporting statement setting out why you are for applying for this role and how you meet the professional and personal requirements.
Any appointment will be subject to the receipt of two satisfactory references. Trustees will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Trustees will be expected to declare that they are eligible and willing to act as a Charity Trustee and Company Director and that they comply with the fit and proper persons test in relation to HF Mencap’s registration with HMRC as a charity for tax purposes.
What’s in it for you
The current social and economic pressures have put the needs of those living with learning disability further down the national agenda. You will be helping to keep their voice heard and enabling a local charity to take an even more active role in helping to address the inequality faced by so many of them.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.