About the organisation
We are part of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by The Trussell Trust, working to combat poverty and hunger across the UK. We provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food plus toiletries to local individuals and families living in Gloucester City and immediate surrounding areas who are identified as being in crisis. Agencies such as Citizens Advice, Social Services and Health Visitors and many more are able to make referrals by using our voucher system. In addition, we are able to provide a Financial Inclusion service for clients with the aim of maximising their income so that they have more disposable income and have the dignity of buying their own food.
About the role
This role involves leading on the financial affairs of Gloucester Foodbank and ensuring that they are conducted within the required legal, accounting and good practice conventions. It is also the responsibility of the treasurer to work in partnership with the chairperson and trustees to ensure the financial viability and development of the organisation.
As a Treasurer you would:
· Ensure the trustee board fulfils its financial responsibilities.
· Ensure that the food bank has proper systems for budgeting, financial control, insurance, and reporting.
· inform the trustee board members of the finances of the food bank by written report, at least on a quarterly basis ensuring that the board have a clear picture of the financial health of the food bank.
· Attend the Trustee meetings which are every 2 months
· Ensure that financial reports: -
i) Are comprehensible and properly discussed at trustee board meetings.
ii) Are provided in the proper format and at the proper time, as required by the relevant charity regulator body (Charity Commission of England & Wales) and Companies House
iii) Have properly appointed auditors or independent examiners (on income over £25k).
iv) Are reported on an annual basis.
v) Liaise with the fundraising committee and attend fundraising meetings when possible
vi) Liaise with our bookkeeper in order to maintain financial records ensuring they are up to date.
Our ideal candidate
Ideally you would have some knowledge of and commitment to the work of the Gloucester foodbank and would participate in any promotional events as far as is possible.
In addition, you would have previous experience or an ability in:
· Financial accounting and reporting procedures.
· Communicating financial information to those who may have little or no financial background
· Ability to undertake analysis, discussion and decision making at a strategic level
The following attributes are also needed:
· Energy to devote the necessary time and effort to the role.
· Have integrity and sound, independent judgement.
· Willingness to be receptive to change and think creatively
· Willing to undertake training in your role
· Be non-judgemental and respect different views, values and cultures
· Previous experience of the voluntary sector is desirable
· Previous experience of acting as a Trustee
What’s in it for you
By leading on the financial matters of the food bank operation, you are part of providing a vital holistic support function in your local community, ensuring a dignified experience to anyone visiting or anyone who comes into contact with Gloucester Foodbank.
· You would be meeting new people and building relationships with existing trustees, staff and volunteers.
· Build on your governance and leadership skills
· Be part of a community dedicated to providing support to local people in crisis.
· Part of a community working towards ending hunger in Gloucester City, Gloucestershire and the UK
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.