About the organisation
Community Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers (CARAS) supports refugees and asylum seekers
to play a full part in their community. CARAS provides practical, social, emotional and educational
support to young people and families.
About the role
The specific duties and responsibilities of the treasurer are to:
● Advise the Board on its financial duties and obligations
● Lead in the board’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept and financial
resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent, in line with good
governance, legal and regulatory requirements
● Oversee and present budgets and management accounts and present the financial position
of CARAS to the board of trustees at board meetings, using plain simple English
● Lead in the development and review of appropriate and effective policies and procedures
(such as the Reserves Policy and Financial Control Policies) with the support of staff and
● Monitor and advise on the current and future financial viability of CARAS
● Chair the board finance committee in line with standing orders and terms of reference, and
report back to the board of trustees
● Advise on the financial implications of CARAS’ strategic planning and fundraising strategy,
as part of a risk management process
● Appraise the financial viability of all plans and proposals.
In addition to the above duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or
experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions. This may involve leading discussions,
focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, evaluation or other issues
in which the trustee has special expertise.
Our ideal candidate
Each trustee must have:
● A commitment to the mission and values of CARAS
● A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
● Strategic vision
● Good, independent judgement
● An ability to think creatively
● A willingness to speak their mind
● An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of
● An ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to make decisions
The treasurer must have:
● Experience of overseeing accounting and reporting processes
● Knowledge of financial management, accounting best practices for UK and compliance with
● Good financial analysis and evaluation skills
● Knowledge of current financial issues facing charities
● Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
● Experience in finance and fundraising within the not-for-profit sector (desirable)
● A UK chartered or management accountant qualification (desirable)
As a trustee you will be able to apply your considerable skill-set, working in a dedicated team to
ensure the effective running of a much loved charity. You will quickly be able to see what the
CARAS community means to its members. We represent a safe and productive space for people to
learn and flourish.
What’s in it for you
The treasurer will play a key role in overseeing and ensuring the financial stability of a charity supporting refugees and asylum seekers as they settle and integrate into everyday life in south London.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.