About the organisation
Do you have financial skills and enthusiasm to help an organisation that supports disabled people?
Bracknell Shopmobility are the independent charity helping local people’s disability needs, from hire of mobility scooters to advice on disability aids and assistance.
We are transforming our charity's governance with a new Chair, renewed vision and refocused financial management from a new Treasurer.
About the role
In Summer 2022 we obtained National Lottery funding to transform the charity; we’re thus looking for financial leadership to help trustees and volunteers build and enact our strategy for the future.
Our Board includes people with experience and skills in managing the charity, with some newer trustees. We’d expect our new Treasurer to have empathy with our cause and our beneficiaries, as well as good financial acumen. Support from our employees is always available, as they will be dealing with the day-to-day finances. Full induction to our organisation will be provided, plus specialist support including access to external training.
Note that we are also recruiting a new Chair of the Board, and together you will help steer our future.
We are a charity not a business, but we apply business principles to governing our organisation. We are looking for fresh expertise and experience from a variety of backgrounds to our charity; we want to expand the diversity of our Board, in all meanings of the word, and strongly welcome applications from people from less-represented groups.
The Board meets every two months in Bracknell; meetings are currently face-to-face, although many of your voluntary duties could be carried-out online. We ask for about 8 hours per month, to includes all meetings, correspondence, communication, and much of that can be online.
How to apply
This appointment is being managed for us by inVOLve Community Services, a charity-support organisation, who offer a no-obligation discussion by video or phone. A detailed Role Description and Skills Specification can be made available to you upon request.
Our ideal candidate
Although we’d welcome your financial qualification, that’s not a prerequisite, as our finances aren’t complex.
You also don’t necessarily need prior experience of charity trusteeship, and while an understanding of how charity finance works would be beneficial, of course, the ability to communicate financial information clearly, especially to other trustees, is very important.
What do we get?
- Your strategic financial management skills, knowledge, understanding or experience
- Your abilities to influence plans for our charity’s financial future
- Enhancement to our overall governance and the Board of trustees
- Your participation in our collective decision-making, contributing to all areas of our charity work
- Your enthusiasm
What’s in it for you
What do you get as a volunteer trustee with our organisation?
- An opportunity to exercise your strategic financial & planning skills, probably in a different context
- New skills and expansion of your experience of charities
- An opportunity to influence and collectively-govern an organisation supporting disabled people
- The personal reward of giving back to the community
- Boost to your career or CV, if needed
- Induction, training, support from our organisation and from charity-support organisations
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.