About the organisation
The Bournemouth Foodbank is a project founded by local churches and community groups, working together towards stopping hunger in our local area. Our foodbank is part of the Trussell Trust network of over 120 foodbanks throughout the UK.
“When we were desperate, the foodbank was there for our family. It was our only lifeline.”
No one in our community should face hunger. The Foodbank Network was founded in 2004 after four years of developing the original foodbank based in Salisbury. Since then The Trussell Trust has helped communities work together to launch foodbanks nationwide in a wide range of towns and cities.
The Bournemouth Foodbank is entering a new phase and in line with this we are seeking to create a robust Trustee Board with expertise that can carry us towards sustainable and healthy growth. All backgrounds and experiences are welcome to apply. We are seeking people with skills and experience in finance. We are also keen to have Trustees with lived experience of foodbanks.
The Trussell Trust and its foodbanks hold Christian values, however we are welcoming to people of different backgrounds and faiths who have value-based perspectives and are ethical in their life approach.
About the role
This role involves leading on the financial affairs of the foodbank and ensuring that they are conducted within the required legal, accounting and good practice conventions. It is also the responsibility of the treasurer to work in partnership with the chairperson and trustees to ensure the financial viability and development of the organisation.
- Ensure the trustee board fulfils its financial responsibilities.
- Ensure that the food bank has proper systems for budgeting, financial control, insurance, and reporting.
- Inform the trustee board members of the finances of the food bank by written report, at least on a quarterly basis ensuring that the board have a clear picture of the financial health of the food bank.
- Ensure that financial reports:
- Are comprehensible and properly discussed at trustee board meetings.
- Are provided in the proper format and at the proper time, as required by the relevant charity regulator body (Charity Commission of England & Wales, Charity Commission of Northern Island or OSCR etc).
- Have properly appointed auditors or independent examiners (on income over £25k).
- Are reported on an annual basis at annual general meetings (AGMs).
Other responsibilities, along with the board of trustees, include:
- To work alongside the trustee board to ensure the organisation’s financial dealings are systematically accounted for and on time, independently examined (on income over £25k) and made publicly available when necessary.
- Ensure your charity is accountable, actively complying with statutory accounting and reporting requirements and the law.
- To ensure appropriate financial plans are in place for future budget allocations as well as looking after contractual agreements with external partners that award money for core costs and additional projects.
- To help promote the organisation to a wider audience of potential funders and beneficiaries.
- To ensure the food bank has appropriate procedures to: comply with current legislation and good practice; including employment, health and safety, equal opportunities, safeguarding & GDPR compliance/data protection etc.
- Act with reasonable care and skill, giving your time, thought and energy to your role.
- To serve as an additional promoter of the food bank in the community.
Our ideal candidate
Previous experience or an ability in:
financial accounting and reporting procedures.
communicating financial information to those who may have little or no financial background
keeping all financial records up to date (book-keeping)
Strong organisational skills
Candidates should be based in Bournemouth or wider Dorset area to apply for the role
What’s in it for you
Using your existing skills to make a difference.
• Meet new people who share your passion to eradicate poverty in the local community.
• Make a real difference to the running of the food bank.
• By leading on the financial matters of the food bank operation, you are part of providing a vital holistic support function in your local community, ensuring a dignified experience to anyone visiting or anyone who comes into contact with Bournemouth foodbank.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.