About the organisation
“Here for the Hard Times”
We don’t think anyone in our community should have to face going hungry. Our food bank provides emergency food and compassionate, practical support to people in crisis, while campaigning for a UK without the need for food banks. We are part of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by The Trussell Trust, working to combat poverty and hunger across the UK.
Founded in 2013, our foodbank is working towards stopping hunger in our local area. It is a project founded by Horeb Baptist Church and supported by a range of local churches and community groups. Without our volunteers donating their time, we simply would not be able to support the thousands of people in crisis.
Through a network of local referral partners we provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to local people who are referred to us in hardship. We provided 26,811 meals last year (to April 2023) and gave out 1310 emergency food parcels. 35% of the people we fed were children. We offer a warm welcome, listening ear and signposting support to everyone visiting the food bank.
We also offer a Financial Inclusion Service to clients who are currently using this Foodbank. The aim is to maximise their income so that the clients have more disposable income and have the dignity of buying their own food.
This is a really exciting time to join the food bank and help shape our services locally.
About the role
As Chair of Trustees you will provide strategic direction for the charity, ensuring that we are meeting the demand for our services, and making certain that we help and support people in crisis in the local community.
Your key key tasks will be to:
Governance and Strategy
- Chair Trustees’ meetings. TS&LF use the NCVO Governance Wheel to ensure balanced management, in line with Charity Commission guidance.
- Working with the Treasurer to complete our Annual Report to the Charity Commission.
- Lead fellow Trustees in updating and implementing a strategy for the foodbank
- Oversight of our Financial Inclusion project which started in July 2023.
- Oversight of our contract with Citizens’ Advice Tameside who provide an advisor at our foodbank sessions and by telephone.
- Support the food bank to provide a good service to clients and ensure that we meet the requirements of our funders.
- Attend a governance panel every quarter.
- Line management of our two paid staff; an Operations Manager and an Administrator.
- Liaison with partner organisations such as Healthy Hyde and Citizens’ Advice.
- Maintaining good relationships with the churches where we hold distribution sessions and who donate to the foodbank.
- Liaison with the Trussell Trust.
- Liaison with Tameside East and Droylsden food banks.
As a Trustee you key key tasks will be to:
- Work with the other trustees to provide management and direction for food bank operations.
- Ensure that the foodbank meets legal and good practice standards in:
- The care of clients and volunteers;
- As a registered charity, carrying out our purpose towards stopping hunger in our local area and complying with our governing document and the law
- Managing our resources.
- Liaise with the Trussell Trust on a rotating basis with the other Trustees.
Our ideal candidate
The Chair of Trustees should have the following qualities:
- Experience of managing a team or board.
- Experience of charitable work or working with volunteers.
- Be a good listener, able to bring the best out of Trustees and facilitate decision making.
- Be a team player, able to motivate and encourage Trustees and volunteers so that together we can continue to feed those in need.
- Have compassion and align with our core values of welcome and dignity
- Be IT literate – we use Microsoft 365 for all foodbank documentation. Meetings are often conducted using Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
- Applications from those with lived experience of poverty are welcome.
What’s in it for you
By leading on the management of foodbank operations, you are part of a team providing a vital support function in your local community, ensuring a dignified experience to anyone visiting or anyone who comes into contact with Tameside South and Longdendale foodbank.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.