About the organisation
Connect: North Korea was established in the UK in 2018 to address the complex challenges North Koreans face in building new lives once they’ve escaped the oppressive North Korean regime and reached safety in a free country. We are a UK-based organisation with a global aim, enabling every person who escaped the oppression of North Korea, to heal, grow, and live the life they choose through holistic support programmes.
About the role
We are seeking a Treasurer to help Connect: North Korea continue our growth from a small community start-up into a high-impact, well-renowned, and sustainable international organisation by overseeing our financial management. You will be key to helping us to drive change for North Korean escapees. If you have a finance background, this is an excellent opportunity to take on a highly rewarding role supporting our work. As part of a tightly-knit and ambitious team, you will be responsible for oversight of our governance, providing strategic support related to financial management, and overseeing robust financial processes for continued growth. Individuals are sought who have a strong empathy with our work and vision and share our values and commitment to social and racial justice.
LOCATION: Online/ 120B Malden Road, New Malden, KT3 6DD
We usually hold board meetings online.
COMMITMENT: 2 – 3 hours per month.
Our Board meets every quarter for 2 hours. We also hold one annual away day. All trustees join one of our subcommittees – Comms/Fundraising, Programmes, and Finance and Risk – which also meet every quarter for around 2 hours. There is expected support between meetings.
Our terms are capped at 3 years with potential for renewal for one additional term.
Overview of responsibilities
· Ensuring that there are effective financial management processes in place.
· Working with the CEO to set and monitor financial/risk KPIs.
· Check and challenge management accounts, annual budgets, and annual reporting.
· Reporting to the board on our financial position.
· Supporting our team when engaging and reporting to funders.
· Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors or independent examiners.
· Working with the fundraising committee to ensure that fundraising meets our expenditure needs.
Our ideal candidate
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior finance role
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Must align with our values and have proven involvement in social and racial justice work.
- Finance Director/CFO from the charity sector
- Knowledge of the refugee support sector
- Knowledge of charity governance is preferable.
- Lived experience of migration or of a refugee background is highly desirable.
- Korean speaker
The ideal candidate has a positive attitude, works well in a team, and is highly organised with great attention to detail.
We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability (physical or learning), LGBTQI+ or relationship status, pregnancy andmaternity, race, religion and belief, gender or social class.
If you do not match all of the desirable criteria for this role, please don’t let that put you off applying, because training and support can be negotiated for the right candidate.
What’s in it for you
Making a big difference to a small organisation. The Treasurer will help Connect: North Korea continue our growth from a small community start-up into a high-impact, well-renowned, and sustainable international organisation by overseeing our financial management.
Apply for the role
Please enter all required information!
Thank you, your application has been submitted
Please provide a cover note if it is requested in the role description. Applications which are personalised, setting out your motivations for volunteering for the organisation and relevant skills/experience, are far more likely to be successful.